Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:50 AM   #41

Thanks those are some awesome shots. I really need to get to a place where I can hold both cameras without them being attached with a cord to a board. I've held the D90 freely, but not the T1i, I did finally get to hold a T1i that worked and I didn't dislike the button lay out and such. So that is something worth considering.
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:47 AM   #42

A little late to the party....

I have a D40 with a 18-55 (pre-VR version) and a 55-200. Last week I upgraded to a D90 and elected body only. Debated on the 18-105, but realized 1) existing lens were serving me well, 2) only $20 more to later purchase the 18-105 separately vs kit now, and 3) savings could be applied elsewhere. Yes, the 50 1.4 is on my short list, but probably after a macro, and expanding my flash to multi off-camera which is what the savings is currently paying for.

Have to concur that the 18-55 is optically, a very decent lens and add that the combo is superior to the 18-200 that some consider as a single walkaround. Any shortcoming is probably the extensive use of plastic - which is becoming a norm on entry level lens and it has lasted 3+ years of extensive use. Here is an example of a picture posted on another thread taken with the 18-55 @ 18mm, but not wide open as was 1/400 f10 ISO 200. Watching the Landscape

That also is the issue that prompted this post. As I searched for photo examples that I had previously posted, most were taken with the 55-200. For example, this Florida sunrise and this Another day begins You may want to accerlate your plans for the long end. Easter weekend I went to St Augustine where that cannon shot was taken. Reviewing the 90 photos taken, about 40% were taken with the 55-200, another 45% were with the 18-55, and the remaining 15% with my ultrawide Sigma 10-20. I'm a Realtor and use the 10-20 extensively with my work, but may not be appropriate for most. I started that day thinking I would try using the 10-20 as a walkaround - my wife objected real quick, and you see the percentage useage.

Look at the photos you have taken with the P&S that are saved on your computer. What range were they actually taken? That may help you decide what lens you actually need.

Last edited by tizeye; Apr 7, 2010 at 6:55 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote