Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:04 PM   #11

Originally Posted by kezs View Post
hello everyone.

after just under 2 years using olympus, I'm coming back to nikon. I'm not happy that they're dropping (though not openly) the consumer DSLR line, and I'm jumping ship before my stuff is too cheap.

I just sold my 12-60mm, which is a jewel and the reason why I bought olympus.

so I'm probably buying a D7000 soon (own a D50), and I'm pretty much a one-lens-man (85% of the time). so I'm wondering which would be the best option out there for an all-around lens. I'd like the wider angle to be 17mm or less, and the longer end isn't really important. sharpness is really important (with a 16mp sensor you kinda need it).

I've been looking at samples for a while, but they never really tell the whole story, do they?

so I'd like some advice on the options out there. so far, on order, I'm considering:

1. sigma 17-70 2.8-4.0
2. nikkor 16-85
3. tamron 17-50

I'm just spoiled by the 12-60. so I'm looking for whatever gives the sharpest images. I'm impressed by the canon 15-85, but their cameras are more about specs than about performance.

any advice is greatly appreciated.
best all round
nikon 18-200
great in daylight, and if any one tries to covince you its no good in low light tell them to shut their PH
this lens will lock focus just as fast, and it is sharp. i am still yet to see the softness that some talk about, for me the IQ is excellent at all focal lengths,

Last edited by dafiryde; Oct 28, 2010 at 6:29 PM.
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:29 PM   #12

I'm between the tokina 12-24 and the nikkor 10-24, strongly leaning towards the nikkor. mainly for the extra 2mm and some reviews (though I haven't seen a side-by-side comparison).

any thoughts?
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote