Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:53 AM   #1
Default new to posting - need lens for wildlife

Hi I am new to this post. I would like advice on what lens to rent or buy for take shots of wildlife when on holiday. Mostly humpback whales. I have a Nikon D300 and right now I have a 18-200 lens but am not sure it is up to the task. Any tips are muchly appreciated.

nancij is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:04 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums.

Your best bet for responses from Nikon users would probably be to ask in our Nikon Lenses Forum. So, I'll move this thread there for you now.

There are many choices available that would give you more magnification compared to your 18-200mm. For example, the "Bigma" (nickname for the Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 EX DG HSM lens) is a popular choice for someone wanting a longer focal length.

Of course, as the nickname implies, it's not a small and light lens. ;-)

NHL (one of our Senior Members) has one he uses with a Nikon D300 (mostly for shooting birds in flight). See this post and you'll find a link to an album containing some photos he's taken with it:

Decent long lens for D90

They also offer a newer version with OS (Optical Stabilization) now. Of course, it's more expensive (around $1599 at popular vendors):

You may want to give members an idea of your budget for better responses from Nikon users.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote