Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:07 PM   #21

Originally Posted by banksy View Post
Hi everyone,

I am about to upgrade to a DSLR from a super zoom and am looking at the D7000. My husband has a D90 with a Nikkor 16-85 lens and Tokina 11-16 lens.
I would like a walkaround lens and perhaps another to compliment what we already have and to share lenses.

My thoughts are the Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D and maybe a 70-300.

We like to photograph landscapes, early morning and dusk scenes, travel and I love macro (that will be another lens down the track $$$$$).

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have.
I have the Nikon 105 mm 2.8 macro, and it is one of my favorites> However, I don't think it fits the bill for a walking around lens. It would be great for macro photography, flowers, bugs, and anything you want to get really close to. It is also a great portrait lens.
For walking around, if you have a steady hand and can do without VR, I love the Tokina 50 - 135mm F2.8 Don't discount the need for bright glass, the 2.8 will increase your working range without boosting your iso. Even in boosting your iso, with a lens at F3.5, or 4, you will be surprised at how many times your camera will cry for a flash. Keep in mind that the money it costs for a Nikon lens with ED, is the way to go, as Nikon glass is its pride and joy. My budget, on the other hand, has demanded I buy some Tokina, and a couple Sigma lens, and I'm glad I did. I have the Tokina I suggested, and the 35mm 2.8 macro as well, they are both great, but I use the 50-135 a lot for walking around
massimino is offline   Reply With Quote