Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 16, 2011, 7:51 AM   #1
Default Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm Lens

I've just discovered this on Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZSHNC...1501_pe_epc_t5

Looks good to me, but I'm new to this DSLR lark. I've got a Nikon D5000 and am considering buying the above lens - does anyone have any experience of it or know of any issues I'd be likely to encounter?

Thanks in advance all!

RockyOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2011, 9:11 AM   #2

The concensus seems to be that it's a decent lens, but it's outclassed by other offerings. As a budget lens, the Nikon 55-200 f/4-5.6 VR is a tad better optically over the range that they share and noticeably less money. For pure optical quality, the somewhat more expensive Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR is universally recognize as a better lens. So it's squeezed from both ends. FWIW, I own the 55-200, but will probably trade it in for a factory refurb 70-300 when my wife isn't looking. My other zooms are the Tokina 12-24 and the Tamron 28-75, so the 70-300 is just a better fit with the rest of my kit as it has evolved. But I have quite a soft spot for the 55-200, and worry that I'll miss it when it's gone...

Last edited by tclune; May 16, 2011 at 9:18 AM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 9:52 AM   #3

Thom Hogan just summarized his reviews of a bunch of the newer Nikon lenses and here's what he said about this lens:

<LI class=bt11>Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DX. Good news: surprisingly good, perhaps even stunning from 55-200mm from center to corner stopped down, but still quite good in the center even wide open. High contrast edges are clean at all but 300mm, where a bit of chromatic aberration sneaks in. Vignetting is modest. Bad news: from 200-300mm everything goes downhill rapidly, making it only serviceable as a 300mm. Nikon gets demerit points for the lens hood, though. Mine fell apart within days--it won't withstand heavy handling. Overall: at the price, better-than-expected performance and probably a better choice than the 55-200mm, which was already very good. Highly Recommended.
I generally like Hogan's reviews.. He has a solid perspective and experience to work from and he's a little pickier than me. I've heard good things about some of the 3rd party 55-300 lenses.

DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote