Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 17, 2011, 8:46 PM   #1
Default New Nikon D40x Lens? Help a kid out!

I have had my Nikon D40x for a little over two years now. I am only 20, and have been at University so I haven't really done too much strenuous shooting past your average snaps, so the standard 18-55 lens kid has done me fine.

However, I go to the USA in 9 days, as I have a job at a summer camp shooting the photos. It has only just occurred to me that I may need a better lens than the one I have. I figured that since I will be shooting sports one minute, and portraits the next, I need a versatile lens. That's why I am looking into a 18-200 lens.

Unfortunately, money is a big issue for me. Not only can I not really stretch past 300 or so, I don;t want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a lens, only to decide to upgrade my D40x to a better model in the near future and want a better lens to go with it.

Basically, the Nikon 18-200 lens is way out of reach for me, so the Sigma 18-200 seems like a good compromise. However, all the reviews rave about getting a genuine Nikon Lens rather than a Sigma one. Will I be losing out significantly here?

Would I be better buying the Nikon 55-200, and use both? This is really a last resort (only if image quality is going to be significantly better with two nikons, rather than the all-in-one Sigma, because I am traveling in the states for over 5 months and do not like the idea of having to car around two lenses in my bag!)

Any advice, help, tips would be useful to me, as I want to be sure the Sigma is the right choice. Also, is the OS in the SIgma lens worth the extra 100, or should I save my cash?

ameliajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2011, 8:25 AM   #2

I'm guessing (and this is just a guess) that either of those 18-200s will give you better image quality than the 18-55. I dread using the 18-55 to be honest. I hope to replace it with a quality midrange zoom sooner rather than later.

DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 8:43 AM   #3

Fast, good, cheap, pick any two! Any zoom lens is a series of compromises, the more the zoom, the more the compromises. If you aren't fastidious about image quality then you may be happy with a super zoom in the 18-2xx range. The Nikon 18-55mm and Nikon 55-200mm solution will give you better image quality at the cost of hauling around another lens. Which solutions meets your creative needs best?
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR II Nikkor

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical IF AF

Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical IF Macro AF

Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro AF

Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD AF
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote