Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 19, 2011, 4:52 PM   #1
Default New Nikon D5100 Incoming....Now for the lenses

Hi All,

I've just ordered the new Nikon D5100. However, I'm not sure which lens or lenses to get. Here's a little background.

Have currently a 5 year old super p&s that allows manual shot configuration & lenses with a separate adapter ring. Also have a film slr with the kit lens (18-55 i think) & a tamron 70-300mm. I'm moving to a dslr as they are now affordable.

What I like to shoot:
Mainly landscapes, buildings, night-sky, low-light & macros. On occasion I shoot weddings and as many pictures of my nieces as possible.

I already know I'm getting a Tamron 90mm or 60mm macro lens for the macro stuff I love to shoot. But I have no idea what a good every day lens will be to start out with. I've read the 18-105vr, the nikon 35mm f/1.8, & the 16-85vr are all good to start with. The question is, which one would be best for me & my needs. Seeing as this is my first Nikon camera, I'd love some advice from all of you experts!

Thanks so much!
strtrkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2011, 7:28 AM   #2

Personally I'm currently looking at the Tamron 18-50 f/2.8 VC and the Tamron 28-75 2.8 as my next multipurpose lens. Both are considered great bang-for-buck lenses that are very sharp. The decision for me is more reach or more width. As a landscape shooter you might consider taking a look at the 18-50. The non-VC version is a good bit cheaper and tests sharper but you have to make sure you get the version with the built in motor for the D5100. Either of these lenses will perform far above the Nikkor DX 18-55 kit lens. Best of luck in your lens search.

DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote