Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 11, 2011, 2:40 PM   #1
Default Teleconverter ????

First I have to say, "Thank You All" who always respond to my questions. You guys have always seemed to answer my questions spot on in a quick manner. I believe I asked this question once before, but not sure. So here goes, have been shooting a Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED lens which surprisingly has had alot of nice shots inside in low lights (At least for me anyway). What would this teleconverter do for my shots, Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX1.4X AF do for my lens? I am going to be getting a AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens for indoor cheerleading and low light conditions. I know that the teleconverter will not work well on the 80-200, but what will it do with the other lens. Thank you again and look forward to your advice.

PS, I have tried to look up and read up on this, but not completely understanding it hurts more than helps!!
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:09 PM   #2

The 70-300 should have a lot harder time than the 80-200 will. The problem is that the 1.4x TC will cut the max aperture by a full stop. So your 70-300 will have a f/8 max aperture. Indoors, I doubt that there's a snowball's chance that it could AF. The 80-200, as an F/2.8, would still have an f/4 max aperture, and may well be able to AF indoors.

I hope you get the Kenko -- I just acquired the Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6, and am curious as to whether it could AF outdoors in good light with the Kenko 1.4x TC. If you get it, let me know how much luck you have with it in this regard.

One nice thing about the Kenko is that it will work mechanically on just about any of your Nikon lenses. Kenko says that you won't get good results below 50mm or so, although I read a post from a guy who was using it on his D3s to allow him to use his DX lenses on his FX camera (very clever!), and he had used it with a 17-50 lens if memory serves and was happy with the results. There is an issue as to whether the back lens would collide with the Kenko if you get a small enough FL lens apparently (so kids, don't try this at home...), but it appears that the actual focusing results were quite acceptable for lenses shorter than 50mm. FWIW.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:59 PM   #3

I've used the Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX1.4X AF on the Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED with less than stellar results. I don't recall any AF problems in broad daylight but never seemed to get crisp photos perhaps because I was trying to hand hold most of the time. I have since acquired the Sigma 150-500mm OS for brute force telephoto and get much better results. This has left the poor Kenko to languish in the bag more often than not!

If anyone wishes I could shoot a test series and send you the results. Send me a private message with your request and email address.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:51 PM   #4

Here's some info on TC's that's easy to follow and understand...

Hope that helps...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote