Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:48 AM   #11

Originally Posted by jfphotos View Post
Yes, I will post some photos...
Reviewing this thread, mainly because disney is local. Agree the Nikon 16-85 and competing Sigma 17-70 are excellent walkaround lens, and a step up from the kit 18-55 and 18-105. They were on my short list until I opted for the fixed aperture Tamron 17-50 which may be too short for the OP. A good way to see if 85 is "sufficient" would be to 1) look at the focal length on the 55-200 for field of coverage, and 2) review general photos taken with the 55-200 (not nature or those requiring the longer focal length) and note what focal length was actually used.

Now the reason for this post. I have found the 55-200 to be relatively sharp EXCEPT at the maximum focal length. That is also consistent with test results, and generally true of most zooms at their minimum and maximum range. I am considering selling it and getting a 70-300 (fixed aperture 70-200 way out of budget) with the only question being the cheaper Tamron or sticking with Nikon.

Here is an example of the 55-200 @ 200mm, VR on, 1/1000 sec, f5.6 ISO 200 on a D90. Notice the generalized blur and the lack of crispness in the feathers and post, while the limited 5.6 DOF should have helped it pop against the background.

Last edited by tizeye; Jan 31, 2012 at 5:55 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:19 AM   #12

Originally Posted by jfphotos View Post
A couple other people told me about the 17-70, but do you have any trouble with the automatic focus? Some reviews say that can be troublesome...
There were two versions of the Sigma 17-70. The first was not stabilized, had a maximum aperture of f/2.8-4.5, and used the cameras own AF motor (It's been discontinued.) The second is stabilized, has a maximum aperture of f2.8-4.0, and has Sigma's HSM (HyperSonic Motor.)

I've not heard anything negative about the AF for either of them, but make sure that the reviews you're reading are about the 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote