Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:41 PM   #1
Default Lens Suggestions

Hello, When I purchased the D5100 I also purchased the Nikkor AF-S 18-200 DX Lens. I have been so disappointed with the results. I just ordered the Nikkor 50mm 1.8G and I'm very excited to see the results from it. But in the mean time I wanted to find something to replace the 18-200 that can be an everyday lens.

I like to take pictures of my very active 4 year old but have been mostly ending up with either completely out of focus or maybe her face in focus but then a big swoosh from her hand moving. It could very well be from my settings but I did not have this problem with my D50 and Tamaron 18-250 lens I replaced.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
tarapics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:26 PM   #2

The Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 might be a good choice. It has a good zoom range, a large aperture so there's plenty of light to focus with and get faster shutter speeds, and a HSM AF motor so it will focus fast.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:09 PM   #3

It sounds like your problem is not with the lens. The problem is most likely too slow of a shutter speed causing motion blur. The camera is most likely trying to make up for the lack of light. Does this happen outside in bright sunlight or is it mostly an indoor thing? Of course the wider aperture of the 50 1.8 will help with this situation but you'll then possibky have some other issues that you'll have to adjust for.

DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote