Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Default Torn between two telezooms

My choice is narrowed to two...

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 f2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM

Tamron 70-300mm F/4.0-5.6 Di AF VC USD

I realize, different animals, one a fixed f2.8 and the Tammy a variable aperture zoom....at a significantly lower price.

Both presently rebated. I shoot w/ a D7000, concerned w/ IQ, naturally. I'm shooting a potpourri of venues, from outside events, family gatherings, street shooting. Mixed in will be some low light indoor shooting (where the Siggy draws my interest)

I am familiar w/ the Tammy, having owned a copy in a Canon mount and was very impressed w/ the performance; the VC was outstanding and reviews seem to concur it is on par with Canon and Nikon's like offerings both in IQ and stabilization, give or take a smidgeon.

The Sigma intrigues as it offers a f2.8 stabilized, (but at 2.5 times the price). That said, price is not necessarilyan issue--> if the Sigma is a performer, I'd pull the trigger.

Just looking for some feedback or images for the Sigma 70-200, as reviews are sparse so far- positive in what I have found. It can be had for $1299 after rebate, the Tamron $449 after rebate.

Anyone used the Sigma, or had experience, ideally, with both?
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 SD
Nikon 16-85 VR II
Nikon 85mm f/1.8 D
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G
Tamron 70-300 VC
rrwilliams64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:16 AM   #2

Have you considered the unstabilized Tamron 70-200/2.8?

It's about as good, optically, as the stabilized Sigma, at about half the price. If you don't need the stabilization (If you can keep the shutter speeds fast enough ...), I think that would be a good choice.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote