Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:21 AM   #1

Default Need a new lens for my D90

Hi! I have been a member for awhile, but have never posted. Have read a lot of good advice on this site, so hoping to get some good photography advice especially on lenses.

I have a D90 (bought in 2009) which I love. I have the lens it came with (18-105) and this year I bought a 50mm f/1.8G which I love to use on portraits of the grandkids and our dog. Looking to upgrade and wanted some advice on another lens. I take a lot of pics of the grandkids and our dog, also like to take landscape pics. I know a lot of people like the zooms and I know they are useful, but I think I'm probably more interested in the optics and the quality of the lens vs. the ability to zoom but am open to suggestions.

Debbie
Photomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomimi View Post
I have a D90 (bought in 2009) which I love. I have the lens it came with (18-105) and this year I bought a 50mm f/1.8G ... Looking to upgrade and wanted some advice on another lens. I take a lot of pics of the grandkids and our dog, also like to take landscape pics.
How do the lenses you have prove inadequate to the task? Do you need something better? ... longer? ... wider? ... faster?
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:26 AM   #3

I love the 50mm for low light and portraits. Have gotten some great results with pictures of the grandkids. The kit lens is overall good but feel it isn't quite sharp enough or fast. I have been looking at the Nikon 16-85mm as it has had some good reviews and it has great image quality. I guess I'm looking for something better and faster but don't really know if I want a zoom, wide-angle or another fast prime??
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:35 AM   #4

I love to take portraits in the 135mm range but dogs and kids often do go well with wide angle shots taken up pretty close to the subject. So that's one thing to consider. Do you want to do more like tighter portraits and/or sports type shots? If so then maybe an 85 prime or a longer telephoto. Do you want more of the whimsical, up-close feel? Then possibly a wider lens such as the 28mm 1.8 or even one of the off-brand true wide-angle lenses such as the Tokina 12-24 (great lens). Also, the 35mm 1.8 is a great all around daily lens for DX.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:52 PM   #5

The unstabilized Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a fine lens. If you need the stabilization, the Sigma 17-50/2.8 is a good choice. If you need more range, you might consider the stabilized Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0.

Since you like your 50/1.8, you might consider Nikon's 35/1.8 and 85/1.8. (I'd say that 135mm is a little long for portaits on an APS-C body.)

And the Nikon 16-85 is also a good choice.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:09 PM   #6

Nikon's 16-85mm lens is a very fine lens and should be on your short list of medium zoom lenses to consider. I chose the older version of the Tamron 17-50mm medium zoom because at f2.8, it is a faster lens and would be more versatile in low light situations.

As for primes, the Tamron 90mm macro f2.8 (old version) is a great portrait lens.

If you want the most versatility while not giving anything up in terms of image sharpness, the Tamron 17-50mm is hard to beat.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
If you want the most versatility while not giving anything up in terms of image sharpness, the Tamron 17-50mm is hard to beat.
...the unstabilized version, absolutely.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:14 PM   #8

Thanks for all the suggestions.It is always helpful to know what others are using and like. I went shopping this weekend and bought the Nikon 70-300 VR f/4.5-5.6. It has gotten a lot of good reviews and think it will get a lot of use. I used my 50mm on some pics of the grandkids in their Halloween costumes. A great lens. My interests and skills are still developing and will probably add the 16-85 or the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I love the fast lenses, but also the price goes up.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:46 PM   #9

Quote:
... I went shopping this weekend and bought the Nikon 70-300 VR f/4.5-5.6. ...
That's a very nice lens. I'm sure you'll like it.

Quote:
... will probably add the ... Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. ...
The unstabilized Tamron. If you want a stabilized lens, the Sigma is better.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:01 PM   #10

Took some pics with the 70-300. It is heavy and feels very solid in my hands. I think I'm going to like it once I understand how it focuses. It does seem to hunt. Have tried various settings both in program and aperture mode. Here are some pics taken of my dog at the beach. I welcome your comments!
Debbie
Attached Images