Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:09 AM   #1

Default sigma lenses

when i discovered the my 4 year old sigma 105 macro wouldnt work on the D7000 i dropped them an email to ask if anything could be done, they said if i had a copy of the original invoice (which i just downloaded from amazon) and paid 5 postage they would upgrade it for me.
well the lens came back today just a week since it went away, so im a happy chappy.
one of the things i was thinking as well was its possibly increased the resale value of the lens as it now works on a greater range of cameras
not that i want to sell it, its a great lens, thanks sigma
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:25 AM   #2

Lucky you! Nice to hear a good news story for a change.
I understand the new Sigma 105 macro is awesome too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banksyinoz/
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:18 AM   #3

yes it is and thats why i made the post, mostly you only get posts critisising companys so i think its important to let it be known when they do good things too
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:49 AM   #4
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
yes it is and thats why i made the post, mostly you only get posts critisising companys so i think its important to let it be known when they do good things too
Most people who criticize this company don't actually own the lenses, but just read them 'on-line' only. They tend to ignore that Sigma warranties are 3 to 4 times longer than the big brands (which are usually only 1 year), and in case the owners have any issue after they've bought the lens (i.e. peace of mind): http://warrantystatus.sigmaphoto.com/

I have their 'older' 150mm macro as well, and and it's one of the sharpest lens on the planet: http://slrgear.com/reviews/showprodu...uct/180/cat/30

Last edited by NHL; Jan 25, 2013 at 6:05 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:54 AM   #5

NHL,
I agree most of what people offer as insight to their own personal experience is far and few in between. Most will just re-post what they heard or read but not from their own personal experience.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:01 PM   #6

I agree. I own the Sigma 10-20 and it is built like a tank! Was looking at the Sigma 105 macro. I'm guessing you got an earlier version and needed some firmware update to recognize current cameras. New, it is too close in price to the Nikon 105 vr, so it becoes a choice of either the Nikon 105 VR or the Tamron 90 macro (not the new VR version).
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:33 PM   #7

My experience with Sigma lenses has been rather positive. I currently own the Sigma 105mm f2.8 DG Macro EX. It is a lovely lens. Tack sharp and well built.

Prior to converting to Nikon, I had a Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, An 18-50mm f2.8 Ex DC, and a Sigma 135-400mm APO DG. The 135-400mm was the only one of the bunch that wasn't great. And, even then, I think it was more a matter of me trying to use the lens with a camera body that wasn't capable of doing what I was asking of it.

When friends ask me about getting a Sigma lens, I have no qualms in recommending the ones that I've personally owned or tried.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:12 PM   #8

I just recently purchased the non OS version of the 50 500 and I'm really impressed with it so far. No lens creep at all and very sharp in good light. Even at 500 it isn't bad with a little smart sharpen. Where else can you get a good lens that will go from 50mm to 500mm or close for under 1000 dollars.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:49 PM   #9

I had bad experiences with the Sigma lenses, an old 40-120mm I used with a Canon Rebel (Film) was very soft and later the AF motor died, I had a 30mm f/1.4 for my Oly system and it was very soft and back/front focus all the time.

I had two Sigmas 150mm f/2.0 (4/3) and it was the best macro lens, very sharp and beautiful bokeh.

Yesterday I bought a Sigma 35mm 1.4, all the reviews talk amazing thinks about the lens, it will arrive next week.

I'll post my first impressions of it.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 6:35 PM   #10

I am having very good luck with my Sigma 189-250mm mounted on a Pentax K-5, no issues to speak of.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote