Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:08 AM   #1

Default Kenko Teleconversion/Wide conversion lenses

Hi ,I need some advice here please,
My Grandson has the 18-55mm kit lens on his D5000 and I have been offered a Kenko Tele Conversion Lens x1.5 KHT-15 plus a Kenko Wide Conversion Lens x0.7 very cheaply.They both have a 52mm thread so will fit on his lens ok. These lenses would fit on the front of his lens not like the only Teleconverter lens I ever had which fitted between my prime lens and the body. So I have no experience of this type of lens on a zoom of any type. Are they a waste of money and time or will he find them useful ?. Any comments will help, especially from someone who has used these things.What about the extra weight fitted to the front of the 18-55mm would that be a no no. I would imagine these were used on film cameras originally but look in good condition .
Many thanks
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Tevion Flexible short tripod.
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ 7.
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:30 AM   #2

Not sure of this will help, But, at one time I owned an Olympus camera and purchased their version of.7x wide conversion lens kit which included the lens adapter(CLA-7). The adapter screws onto the front of the lens main lens, much like a filter. The wide conversion lens then attaches to the adapter. This makes for a rather top heavy lens as well as quite fragile.

I didn't get the results I wanted. As the output was soft and grainy. Not sure what your looking to do with this set up. But if it is a wider angle of view for, lets say, landscapes, you can always take 2 to 3 shots and pan the landscape. Then stitch the 3 together in post processing.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:41 AM   #3

Thanks zig-123,
You are right they both just screw into the filter thread of a lens with an adapter ring.they both have 46mm 49mm and 52mm adapters.
The Tele one has a 72mm skylight filter thread on it ,which shows how weird it looks(like a mushroom shape).
I thought they might help my Grandson via a bit more versatility on his 18-55mm but I don't want to give him something which will just make things more complicated for little gain if anything. I have since found them new on a Philippino site for I about U.S. $23 each, a U K search came up with nothing.
I think I'll forget it to be on the safe side.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Tevion Flexible short tripod.
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ 7.
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote