Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:39 AM   #1

Default What are some cost effective f1.8 lenses?

Hello,

Long time no post. Just been concentrating on a volunteer project.

What are some nice f1.8 lenses (fixed focal lengths included) for my Nikon D5100 that don't cost an arm and a leg?

I'm still shooting my daughter at gymnastics, but also my wife and I were invited to take pictures of all the girls for the club's year book & video as well. So we've been able to get out on the floor while the girls practice and at some meets. We've been making do with a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. And its been working out really well for the cost of the equipment. Can't complain.

But the things that I think that we're up against is . . .

1) 75mm is still too short, even when sitting at the edge of the floor and trying to shoot to the other side.
2) f2.8 is fast, but for a cropped sensor its just pushing that sensor (in the lighting that we are shooting in) to the max. Nice images, but just a bit of high iso noise in there. (Yeah. I'm a pixel peeper.)

I did pick up an old Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 lens for a song. Really slow to focus, but I figured out how to get some shots with it. But on a cropped body, in the lighting that we are in, it's pretty high iso noise. I have that on an old Nikon D90, which I am finding the Nikon D5100 really does perform much better in low light. And I've really started to looking more closely at the DXOMark iso chart more. <grin>

Settings I find work well are . . . iso3200, f2.8, 1/250sec.

I could see trying out something like a Nikon 35mm f1.8 to see if I can get that sensor down closer to iso1600 and nudging the shutter speed up a bit. My wife was sitting beside the judges shooting and getting some nice shots. I'm thinking that lens might be able to work there.

And I remember someone saying there is a longer f1.8?

I see that new Sigma f1.8 zoom that was released. That is an interesting lens. I'm just holding my breath for the price.

And then I guess, ultimately to squeeze out that bit more IQ, the question becomes . . . Full Frame?

Any suggestions, or other things to think about?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:07 AM   #2

I've got a Nikon 85/1.8 and enjoyed much success with it at indoor equestiran events and some kids' basketball. (The D won't AF on your 5100, but the G will and it's better.) Sigma has an 85/1.4 with HSM that might work well for you too.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:32 AM   #3

There are some rumors that Sigma will be announcing a new 135 f1.8 in the
near future along with a few other new fast lenses...

http://photorumors.com/2013/04/21/si...g-os-art-lens/

Don't know what the prices will be like but you could wait a bit and see how
it all shakes out...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:46 AM   #4

The other thing would be like you mentioned, Full Frame... The Nikon D600 has excellent
low light/high ISO performance and the price is right at around $2k... You would loose the
1.5x APS-C crop factor but it does have a DX 10mp crop mode...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Apr 23, 2013 at 9:58 AM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:39 AM   #5

Yeah.

I'm looking closer at the Nikon D600 and Canon 6D. On the DXOMark sensor chart, these full frame cameras just blow away the cropped sensors.

Although I can't complain about the cropped sensor. The Nikon D5100 I've got. I'm constantly blown away with what it can do. I'm sure my wife has heard me say "That's insane. This camera is too cool!" way too many times. <grin>

I just mentioned the Nikon D600 (and price) to my wife, and she didn't down right say no. Which is promising. I think its because she's been on the floor taking pictures as well and been having a lot of fun.

I guess, if I go with a full frame, I'm thinking Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 (or something like it) for close-up shots. And update my long lens to something like the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM. The long lens for the floor, and the short lens for everything else. And hoping that I can turn up the iso on the full frame a bit higher than iso3200.

But if I don't go full frame, how do I squeak out a bit more IQ from the cropped sensor? Sure I can look at the Nikon D7100, but I'm guess lenses are going to work into the mix as well.

?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
I'm looking closer at the Nikon D600 and Canon 6D. On the DXOMark sensor chart, these full frame cameras just blow away the cropped sensors.
I wouldn't go that far. For noise, the difference between the D600 and the D5100 is about a stop and a third, and less than that for the D5200. (That's about what you'd get when switching from f/2.8 to f/1.8, and for a lot less money.) As for dynamic range, the difference is less than a stop.

And by switching to 'Full Frame', you'd be dealing with bigger, heavier, and more expensive gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
I guess, if I go with a full frame, I'm thinking Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 (or something like it) for close-up shots. And update my long lens to something like the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM. The long lens for the floor, and the short lens for everything else. And hoping that I can turn up the iso on the full frame a bit higher than iso3200.

But if I don't go full frame, how do I squeak out a bit more IQ from the cropped sensor? Sure I can look at the Nikon D7100, but I'm guess lenses are going to work into the mix as well.
The lenses you've got and the lenses we're talking about here will work fine on a D7100 or D5200. So, unlike switching to 'Full Frame', lenses aren't an issue.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I wouldn't go that far. For noise, the difference between the D600 and the D5100 is about a stop and a third, and less than that for the D5200. (That's about what you'd get when switching from f/2.8 to f/1.8, and for a lot less money.) As for dynamic range, the difference is less than a stop.
Yes. That's a fine line. But I guess the way I'm looking at it, the D5100 won't last forever, so, what's next? <grin> And with my wife taking picts on the floor, we are having to decide who gets the D5100, especially when there are club girls on separate parts of the gym. So if we get to do this again next year, I'm thinking we need two half decent cameras.

And, in the lighting conditions I'm shooting in, I'm thinking just 1 stop can make a huge difference.

Quote:
And by switching to 'Full Frame', you'd be dealing with bigger, heavier, and more expensive gear.
Yes. That's one of the reasons I went with the D5100 in the 1st place. I don't really "want" a big camera. But the next camera will probably be a choice between the D7100 or the D600. If I go D7100, I'm going to look at that new Sigma 18-35 f1.8. So how much is that going to be? Whereas, if the D600 is fast enough, then I can use that with my existing Tamron 28-75 f2.8?

Quote:
The lenses you've got and the lenses we're talking about here will work fine on a D7100 or D5200. So, unlike switching to 'Full Frame', lenses aren't an issue.
Yeah. If I stick with APS-C, then I'm thinking f1.8 might help on the high iso noise situation. Or getting closer to 1/500sec. (As long as it can focus and depth-of-field works.)

So the question in my mind is . . . if I stick with APS-C, what ~ f1.8 lenses are available to help out?

I don't know. Just trying to get some reference on this . . .
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:28 PM   #8

Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S FX Nikkor Lens ($496.95)
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:20 PM   #9

Quote:
I think I remember you mentioning that the last time I was asking about lenses.

I didn't add it to my list, because all I had for the D5100 was the original kit lens and the Tamron 28-105mm f2.8 without a focus motor, so I decided to get the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 to get up and running.

I guess the other thing to look at is the rumour of the Sigma 135mm f1.8 lens. Maybe that is something for me to learn about too?

Thanks for your help!

Glen
Old Apr 23, 2013, 4:37 PM   #10

Sigma also has an 85/1.4 for about $900. My guess is that a Sigma 138/1.8 will be about the same.