Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:50 PM   #11

I think it all depends on what your going to do with the images, if your showing someone your pictures are you really going to zoom in all the time to show the clarity on a big monitor? if you were to print out the pictures as say 6x4's you wouldn't even have that option, and for that reason I think most people would be quite happy with the results they get from their kit lens.
a friend of mine recently bought a Nikon 3100 with the kit lens, I offered to lend her some lenses but she said no they were far to expensive and she would be worried she might break one, so she stuck with the kit lens, I just gave her a few pointers so she could take pics without using auto and last week she showed me some photos she took of her new grandson and all I could say was wow, really good arty b&w classic baby shots, shes had them printed out and made up a album, which I think is still the best way to view photos.
and that's why you shouldn't throw away your kit lens
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:49 PM   #12

I'm glad your friend is happy with her camera/lens- and certainly if small image size is going to be the users output then the kit lens will suffice in most circumstances for general use- and maybe I was a bit harsh with the "throw away" conclusion...
Let's just say the camera is more capable than what the kit lens allows...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote