Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:57 PM   #1

Default SLR lens other than Nikon

I have a D5200 with the 18-55 lens and bought a 55-200 to go with it.

I had the 55-200 slip out of my hand and land on the concrete. I don't know if it is ruined or not. I decided to look for another lens. Question is do I have to use a Nikon lens or do other SLR lenses work with with my camera. Any recommendations as to other zoom lenses or fixed focal length lenses that would work for me. I live in Utah and have some landscapes to die for.
mikesam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:08 PM   #2

G'day Mike

There are half-a-dozen lens makers who are producing products that will quite happily bolt onto your Nikon body. Their range of lenses often mirrors the Nikon range [same applies to Canon or Pentax or whomever], while prices float between, say, 60% to 100% of the Nikon lenses

I'm not a nikon user, but over the years I have had very good results from my Tamron & Tokina lenses, less happy with some of the general-purpose Sigma ones

Others here will no doubt offer their comments as well
Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:04 AM   #3

The key factor in all of this is that each camera manufacturer uses a different lens mount, so you can't mount a Canon lens on your Nikon camera, for instance. There are other lens manufacturers, however, that make lenses for multiple brands of camera bodies. The more popular third-party lens manufacturers are Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, and Zeiss. When shopping for lenses from these manufacturers, it's important for you to remember to specify the brand of camera you intend to mount it on.

Other third-party lens manufacturers include Samyang (whose lenses are often sold under other brand names like Rokinon, Vivitar, Bower, etc., but are otherwise identical) and Lensbaby. Though you should be aware that lenses from those manufacturers generally do not support Autofocus, though they generally do support AutoExposure.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 13, 2016 at 2:36 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The key factor in all of this is that each camera manufacturer uses a different lens mount, so you can't mount a Canon lens on your Nikon camera, for instance. There are other lens manufacturers, however, that make lenses for multiple brands of camera bodies. The more popular third-party lens manufacturers are Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, and Zeiss. When shopping for lenses from these manufacturers, it's important for you to remember to specify the brand of camera you intend to mount it on. ....
Good answer mate, thanks for the extra information Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote