Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 19, 2004, 4:08 PM   #1

I know this area has been done to death but I haven't found much good advice.

I'm new to D-SLR, recently got a D70 and I'm looking to get a lens with better zoom than the one that came in the kit. I can get this Sigma 70-300mm for $220 CDN (think $165 US), and I'm wondering if I should go for this or if there is anything in the same price range I should consider.

Most reviews seem to rate it as "good for the price", and specifically site that it's not good in low light and has a slightly slow auto-focus. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for any help!
StealthGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:57 PM   #2

I just bought this lens a couple of weeks ago.My D70 is my first DSLR and I
really enjoy it.I now have 2 lenses.
Tamron SP 24-135 F3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical
Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 II APO Macro
These are not fast lenses but for someone like me that has only been at this
for about 4 years they are more than enough. ( For Now )

My wife told me if I keep this up I will definitely not out live her.Hmmm....I wonder what she meant by that?

Anyway this is a link to a shot I took with my new Sigma 70-300

EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:36 PM   #3

Thanks EasyRay. I'm pretty sure this lens will suit me justfine, and the price is pretty good, so I can't really go wrong.
StealthGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 1:00 PM   #4

I got this lens when I got my D70 in mid-June. I also didn't fully understand the "good for the price" reviews, now I think I do. A 2.8 lens is my next step due to the extra sharpness and higher shutter speed capabilities in low light, but for the price I've been quite pleased with the Macro Super II. It's not a pro lens by any means, but a definite step up from the cheap stuff I used with my N60. I was looking at some shots from last summer with my N60 and a cheap Sigma zoom, holy cow. Night shots in particular are MUCH better with the current setup. Hopefully soon I'll have a website or gallery up to share some of the pics.
Actually, now that I think about it, this should work (there is also a link to another page on the bottom):
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote