Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 14, 2004, 5:15 PM   #1

After about 4 Coolpix years, it's time to move on and I'm about to buy the D70.

I'd prefer to use just one versatile lens - and I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to the lenses - I'm sorry - hope to find a little help here...

There is the package that comes with the NIKON*18-70MM F3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX ZOOM lens and that looks like a rathr versatile lens to me.

But would the NIKON*24-120MM F/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR ZOOM-NIKKOR make a big difference and would it be much more versatile (for $200 more)?

What is the difference between DX and VR?

Is there another lens you'd recommend?

Thanks very much
rejoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2004, 7:24 PM   #2

DX and VR are two different technologies. Lack of one doesn't mean the other.

DX is the Nikon's designation for lenses designed specifically for digital sensor size, which are smaller than traditional 35mm film. It theoretically offers cheaper and lighter lenses, by not having to take into account the outer edges of a 35mm frame. You can use a non DX lense on a digital camera, but using a DX lens on a film camera will yield unfavourable results at wider angles.

VR is a technology that counters hand holding shakes, allowing you to use slower shutter speeds in low light conditions. Note: while it effectively eliminates camera/hand movement, it doesn't eliminate blurring due to subject movement that has a higher possibility of occuring with the slower shutter speeds.

The difference in field of view at the wide end of 24mm vs 18mm can be significant depending on your shooting style.
At the long end, 120mm vs 70mm is also potentially significant. The f/5.6 max aperture on the 24-120 is 2/3 stops slower than the 18-70 (at f/4.5), which may manifest itself as a dimmer viewfinder, and could hinder AF operations in low light conditions (both are AF-S lenses, so AF should be comparatively swift anyways).
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 6:45 AM   #3

I just shot a wedding using only a 24/120 "VR" lens on My D100 with no problems at all with low light or focusing or anything at all. It is a great lens for all around use. It sure was a lot better then the 50 pounds of Hasselblad equipment I used to have to haul around.
D100 + SB28 + 24/120"VR" + Epson 1280 = Actually making $$$$ shooting a wedding.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:06 AM   #4

Depending on your needs, you may also want to consider a lens of similar coverage with a constant 2.8 aperature. I have the 18-70, but there have certainly been times when having a 2.8 would have been much handier. I just might trade for something like a Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di or Sigma 28-70 2.8 because I would need the f 2.8 more than I would need the 18-28 focal range.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 6:16 PM   #5

consider the nikon G lens 28-200. It's cheap and VERY small! It works great and is easy to carry. Great all purpose lens.

Don't worry ablout lens tests done on Full Frame SLR's, remember you are using 2/3's of the glass due to smaller sensor on DSLR's. The quality is very good on digital!!!!

ltccarndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 6:45 PM   #6

Could anyone advise the difference between
24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF AF Zoom-Nikkor
24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor

And which is really better. Thanks.
konei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:15 AM   #7

I have posted this elsewhere, but havingvarious lenses perhaps I could give a comparison here? For years I have used a F90X with the 24/120 and for everyday use it has proved to be ideal, not too heavy and having wide angle and enough zoom to cope with most situations. Now I have the D70 though, the crop factor makes it much less useful. Losing that wide angle facility was a serious blow, and while I still have the 24/120 I use the kit lens for travelling now. Light and the equivalent of 27/105 as opposed to 36/180. I can always crop and enlarge with PS Pro afterwards if I want anyway, so there is no loss. I bought though, because I didn't like the quality of the kit lens at first, the 17/55 F2.8 and that is a magnificent lens, but heavy for travelling.

In conclusion you don't say what kind of photography you envisage, but if it is the usual of friends etc, with a lot indoors, you will find the kit lens much more suited to your needs. You also ask about an alternative lens, and while I haven't tried it Sigma have launched a 18/50 F2.8 you might like to take a look at.

Whatever, I am sure you will be delighted with the D70. Happy snapping.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote