Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 7, 2004, 6:30 PM   #1

Please consider the 28-200 3.5 G if you have a D70 and want one lens to do all. The 18-70 is a great lens as well, but the 28-200 is even smaller, lighter and gives you that telephoto 200mm (300mm at 35mm equiv!!) that you will miss with the 18-70.

I have a drawer full of Nikkors which I started buying in the service in Japan in the early 70's.

If I had had a 28-200 this good (and cheap)back then I could have avoided buying so many lenses!!!!

list: 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 200mm, 500mm reflex, Black F, Lunapro meter.

Still have them all, and they all work

ltccarndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:28 PM   #2

Hi Itccarndt,

I have been considering a new lens for my D70. I wanted something I could use for weddings and all other pictures. I need more zoom. I believe the 28-200 your are mentioning is not much bigger than the 18-70. It is small and light. I am considering this lens. Are your pictures sharp?

Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:09 AM   #3

yes, sharp.

The lens has two 'down' points: The lens flange is plastic, it works well, kind of like plastic 'corks' on new wine botttles, it takes getting used to. It also make a little more noise than a newer silent 18-70 when focusing.

But all in all it is a great wedding and travel lens. For most weddings it couldwork wellfor all shots--unless you do wide groups shots.

bonus: it is smaller in diameter so it uses standard 62mm filters and does not appear as a shadow in some flash shots as the 18-70
ltccarndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 6:13 PM   #4

I just picked one up today, So far I am really impressed especially considering the price. I haven't been able to do much shooting aside from out the window and indoors (another rainy day here). But what I have so far look great. It is nice and light compared to most my other lenses, AF is better than I had planned on too. Not like AF-S quick but certainly more livable than my 70-300 ED.

This will undoubtedly be my new favorite "taking a walk, not knowing what I will be shooting" lens.
bigconig is offline   Reply With Quote