Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:27 PM   #1

I am currently considering this prime lens. I have only read positive reviews of the lens, most of the time it is even described as a "legendary nikkor". I figured, that on a digital body, the lens would be a 270mm f/2.8, which is almost comparable with a 300mm f/2.8 which is around 7 times more expensive. In addition, the only critism is that the corners are not 100% sharp at f/2.8. On a digital body, those problems most of the time dissapear so I guess it is perfect at f/2.8 on a Nikon D70.

My question, can anyone confirm my suspisions? The lens costs around EURO 700 / USD $500 at this moment which is a bargain if you ask me.
dieseljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:03 PM   #2

Hey DJ,

I used this lens on one shoot only, Toronto Molson Indy car race and enjoyed it ; in the begining...:roll:

I then put on my 80-200 2.8, and didn't use the prime again! Same speed, broad range and equivalent sharpness! In closer photo inspection, I could not make out any differences; under lab testing, there may be some, but in the real world, none noticable!

By the way, this is NOT almost equivalent to the 300 2.8, which becomes a 450 2.8 on a nikon D body!

Why do you want a prime? size/weight? price?

dasrocket is offline   Reply With Quote