Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:55 PM   #1

I'm going to Santa Fe NM in 2 weeks and think it will be good to get a circular polarizing filter. I think I will go with Hoya as they get good reviews. I'm not sure which one to get. I'm Looking at the one with UV too. Do I need the UV? Will I see the difference. I am open to other suggestions I just can't really afford more than a hundred bucks right now. I shoot with a D70 with the kit lens.

McGlocktapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:25 PM   #2

I usea UV filter just to protect my lense. Better scratch a $15 dollar filter than a $300 lense. And from what I've heard Hoya polarizers work well.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:49 AM   #3

I have used Hoya filters for 20 years and find them superb, and much cheaper than the Nikon filters as well. I highly recommend them.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 6:10 AM   #4

A UV Lens shuld be an automatic purchase as a lens protector.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:11 AM   #5

Yes, I use Hoya, either HMC or Ultra depending on the lens, the Ultra are very thin(and expensive)and made for use with a wide angle lenses.

Regarding the UV filters, plain window glass cuts down UV, internal built in filter in digital camera cuts down UV.
There are two schools of thought on using them. One says bolt a 15$ piece of glass to your lens to protect it, no matter what.
The other says you are bolting a 15$ piece of glass to your 2000$ lens, you are degrading your image, never us them.:blah:

Myself, I both use and don't use the UV filters depending on the conditionsI am shooting in. If there is spray, or blowing muck about, I'll use them, I wipe them off as needed mostly with a handy tee-shirt and consider them throwaways.

If you choose to useUV filters,buy good quality ones, like Hoya or B&W. Depending on your lens filter size they will run around 50$cdn-100$cdn each.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:34 AM   #6

First: How do Hoya circular polarizer filters rate against B+W and Tiffen filters for optical quality?

Second: is multi coated good?

Thirdly: My Konica Minolta A200 lens takes a 49mm filter size. Will the use of a 55mm circular polarizer filter (with a step-up ring) help to reduce vignetting?

bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote