Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:56 PM   #1

An online vendor is trying to sell me a "Pro upgrade" Sigma lens package (28-70, 70-300) for a D70 for $600, in place of a similar Nikon package in the same price range. I can't find any info (reviews, etc.) about a "pro line" of Sigma lenses anywhere (including the Sigma website), except on the vendor's website. His comment was "These are so new, you won't find them out there". Was he blowing smoke or is he really ahead of the curve? Thanks for your insights.
padacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:53 PM   #2

He's probably 'blowing smoke'!

Sigma EX's are their 'pro' series... the 70-300 is not an EX
Theses are the so new lenses: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...sigma10dgs.asp
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:00 AM   #3

Selling the camera at a low price, then offering more "discounts" if you buy a package is a common technique.

Usually, the items contained in the packages are overpriced and/or low quality (the vendors make up for the loss of profit on the camera body when you fall for the "package deals")

Representing low end lenses as "Pro", no name memory cards as "high speed", includingpoor qualitytripods/filters/lens accessories with ridiculous "retail prices" is very common.

This makes it look like you're saving lots of money (whenthe vendors make more profit promoting the packages).

Unless the packages were from a very reputable dealer, and offered a savings over what you wanted to buy anyway (pricing the items separately from reputable vendors), I'd avoid most of them. They are usually just a way to increase a dealer's profits, and contain low end products with overstated retail value.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:40 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. I suspected that there was some "packaging" going on, but the vendor's website had some "new" Sigma "Pro" lenses with prices in the EX range that I could not find anywhere else. From the posts on this forum and elsewhere, I have decided to go with the Nikon "Kit" lens (18-70?) for starters while I look around for the right second lens. Thanks again.
padacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:47 PM   #5

That "pro" set of lenses can be found at most on-line retailers for under $250. They're Sigmas lower end and are offered frequently as a package deal with just the D70 body. I have the 70-300 that's part of that set, and I'd say it's worth exactly what I paid for it ($109).
etawful is offline   Reply With Quote