Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:28 AM   #1

I had an old 4004 Nikon film camera and have taken a few classes on photo compostion and film development. But in recent years I have not used the camera at all. Now I am again interested in photography and find digital to be a great alternative to film.

I am looking to start with a D70 and would like suggestions on lenses. Given I am really new, as I have not done any photography in years, I do not need or wish to spend thousands on lenses. But would like something nice and that will allow me to grow and learn to push it to the limits.

I foresee the lense and camera to be used for landscape, travel shots, and interesting shots in cities.

What would you recommend for covering the typical focal lengths (28 - 200\300). Should I go with 2 seperate lenses 28 - 70 + 70-300?

Thanks for the advice and tips. I'm looking forward to getting into it again and learning more
Xraptorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:58 AM   #2

Camera bodies come and go (particularly with the digital era upon us), but lenses stick around for a lifetime.

Although it may seem crazy to spend thousands on glass, I think it's a good investment. Lens design from an optical standpoint is pretty mature, and the only thing that changes is the addition of new features such as AFS and VR. Therefore you can buy the top-end optics knowing that they won't be obsoleted by somethingmuch better in the next ten years.

The best thing you can do is get the kit lens with the D70. It offers an 18-70mm zoom range (equivalent to 27-105mm in 35mm format, due to the smaller sensor in Nikon digital cameras), and the optics are pretty damn good for a $300 lens.

Since your interest is landscapes, I would go for a superwide zoom instead of a telephoto zoom. Either the Nikkor or Sigma 12-24mm zooms will work (the Tokina version is almost impossible to obtain). The Sigma is little more than half the price of the Nikkor, and will work with 35mm film cameras as well as digital. The Nikkor is optimized for digital cameras only. I have no idea how much better one is than the other, but I know that one of them exists in my future.

If you still want the telephoto zoom, the best one out there is the Nikkor 70-200 F/2.8 VR. It's pricey (about $1449 with rebate), but it's built like a tank and will last you a lifetime. There's also the Sigma HSM version, but this does not have the vibration reduction feature of the Nikkor.

Sorry about the long response.
Arizona_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:55 PM   #3

Do what AZ_Steve says. Beg borrow, or steal to get good glass.

I bought a Nikon 80-200 F2.8 15 years ago because of what someone like Steve said to me then and it is single handedly still the best photography equipment I have ever bought.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:29 AM   #4

question, i thoughtthe Kit lense's focal lengthis 18-70mm PERIOD. there's no need to multiply it by the convertion factor 1.5, because it is the DX series lense, which is designed for the digital SLR camers. maybe i'm wrong.
pokeeemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:42 AM   #5

Ah no! It is in effect 27/105 in old money! The kit lens would be a good starting point, since all reviews are favourable and it is excellent value for money, although a bit light and "plasticky". However, better galss will get you better pictures, and if money is limited (who's isn't?) then you might like to look at the body only and the Sigma 18/50 F2.8 lens, and then further up the Sigma 70/200 F2.8 lens. On the other hand, if pockets are deep and full, then the Nikon 17/55 and the Nikon 70/200 VRIFED would look good in anybody's Xmas stocking!

Whatever, go for an F2.8 lens if you can afford it. It wasn't out when I bought the kit lens, but if it was I would have had the Sigma 18/50 instead at approximately the same cost. But it wasn't and so I went for the 17/55 F2.8 as well in the end. Ah well.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:15 PM   #6

Hi. I'm in the same situation. Between the 8800 and D70. Just can't figure out which lens to start with. Thanks for the advise. I will keep reading.:?
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote