Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:19 PM   #11

Comments deleted,
Just realized this is not in a critiques forum.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 5:25 PM   #12

I am sorry, but I don't find this a particularly good example of a wedding photograph. The white of the bride's dress is predominant, the brick arch is too dominant, and the bridegroom subdominant. The people on the right have been photoshopped, and overall I would not have offered this to my clients as a worthy shot. Her bouquet is almost invisible, and the depth of field is abysmal. Personally if I was taking a shot like this it would have been with a bounce flash, shallow depth of field so that only the couple were in focus, and surely with a diffuser. I believe that this reinforces my argument that the 24/120 is an average lens when used on a digital camera, nothing special. If you are going to do wedding photography, let's get it right and produce photos that are worthy of a professional genre. If your clients were happy with the photos taken well, good for you, but I can't help but think that any professional photographer would have used a better lens. I use the 17/35 F2.8,17/55 F2.8 and if outside the 70/200 F2.8 plus the SB800 for weddings which produce the correct ambiance for all the photos. I feel you could do better, but this lens has its limitations, which is where I started
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:12 AM   #13

Hi Cameranserial,

The photo really looks a lot better then it shows on this forum. It can't be to bad because It was my mostpurchased photograph so far.

I will clear well ove $2,000.00 on this wedding so I do not think that my pictures are all that bad. I already booked another wedding to do in October off of this one along with some family portraits.I do not advertise at all and I stay as busy as I want just with word of mouth from wedding to wedding. I got this one off of doing a previous one. I used to do all of my weddings with a Hasselblad and did the very high quality photographs and did not make as much keep $$$ as I do now. I find that people want these cute type pictures weather they are good or not.

I now just shoot and put the pictures on A DVD and charge $1,500.00 and then sell the photographs or a complete album or they can print them out at walmart. I have no overhead and don't require an assistant as I did in the old days of film.

Doing weddings is now fun for me instead of work and as long as the people paying me like the pictures I am a happy photo-guy

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:23 PM   #14

I agree, the photo sucks. but I do like the 24-120 lens. :-)
cgwilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:36 AM   #15

so which is the better lens optically speaking.

the 24-120 Vr

the 18-70 kit lens

or the

24-85 ?
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:39 PM   #16

photozone.de lens rating pages have following results:

Lens: Optical rating:
Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED-IF DX: average (2.56)
Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR: sub-average (2.36)
Nikkor AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4: average (2.55)

Optically lenses dont have huge differences so it is impossible to declare clear winner.
If i had to choose one of those lenses it would be definitely be the 18-70
as it is optically good and only one that offers much needed wide angle.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote