Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 15, 2005, 1:14 AM   #1

Sigma 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 - $169

Nikon 28-200 f/3.5-5.6G - $279

Perhaps this has already been hammered. Apart from the price difference, I can't seem to find any concise comparisions between the two. I want to know if there is any discernable difference in qualitybetween the two. Thanks in advance for any help.

Future Nikonian
Hoooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 4:01 AM   #2

Oh yes there is. The Sigma is a flare monster in sunlight or even when using flash (where it reflects off highlights) , but in outdoor cloudy situations can give decent contrast. Wide open you can expect soft images and flare.

The Nikon version is a bit better (especially wide open) and marginally sharper, but it's nowhere near as good as say even the Nikon 28-105 lens. The build quality however is much better than the Sigma version.
I have to say that the Nikon 28-200 was a big dissapointment for me (I bought it for my D1x to avoid all those lens changes and dust getting on the sensor, oh and by the way both the Sigma and Nikon 28-200 suck dust in like a vacuum cleaner), I ended up going back to the 28-105 for the extra sharpness.
If you really need the 200 end (who doesn't) I'd suggest buying two lenses. If you are using a Nikon DSLR, the 18-70 kit lens and any decent 80-200 or 70-200 lens from Sigma of Nikon. The Nikon 80-200f2.8 (non AFS) can be had used for reasonable money and gives results just as sharp as the newer AFS versions (80-200 or VR70-200). The Nikon 80-200 (all versions) are hard to to beat for sharpness.
wingnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote