Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:18 PM   #1

A stranger in these parts, I am a Maxxum 7D owner, but I know that youNikon folks are an intelligent lot, so I thought I'd pose a couple of lens questions to you.

I ownQuantaray 28-80 and 70-300 lenses, and am looking for a wide angle lens to compliment them. I'm not talking high dollar lenses, at least not right now. I have researched the following a bit, and am wondering how youNikon users rate them.

Sigma 18-50 DC

Sigma 18-125 DC

Vivitar/Promaster/Phoenix Series 1 19-35

I would like to get the 18-125 in as much as I might be able to get rid of the 28-80 lens and only carry two lenses with me. But I hear that the bigger the range of a lens, the less the quality. What do you guys think?

And any suggestions other than these lenses (not too expensive) would be appreciated, as well.

Also, perhaps a word or two from those knowledgeable on 2x teleconverters, as this would be nice to have to take pics of those far off mountain goats at the top of the Rockies. And how do the larger 500mm or bigger lenses work with Digital SLRs, quality wise, etc.

Any thoughts you guys have would be appreciated! Thanks. - Dick

Jacqueaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 12:49 PM   #2

I hardly know where to start, but here goes. You are correct that all things being equal, a greater zoom range means a loss in quality. The equipment that you have is completely inadequate for long-range photos of mammals. Teleconverters cost quality and quantity of light. Sigma lenses are cosidered superior to the other brands that you mentioned. All-in-all, my impression is that you are trying to do too much with too few things. My advice would be to forget the long-range photos and concentrate on doing the best job with limited equipment. Spend some money on a good tripod. That will do wonders for photos. Don't forget a polarizing filter.
Tom Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote