Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:40 PM   #1

hi everyone,

i'm a begginer in DSLR, and i have a D70, and i'm interesting in portraiture and close ups.

my question is, what is the best lens that can give excellent results for both portraits and macros??

a8j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:38 AM   #2

For macro shots you need to buy a macro lens. There are several on the market the Nikon Micro 60 mm or the Nikon Micro 105 are top quality. I use a Sigma 50mm Macro, Sigma also do a 105 mm Macro. Tokina and Tamron also do a range of Macro lenses.

I'm not sure about portraits on a DSLR. For 35mm the recomendation was 70 - 100 mm as the best range for portraits. With the D70 crop factor I guess this would mean using 50 - 60 mm to get a similar field of view, but for depth of field you'd still want 70 - 100 mm.

I did a quick search and came up with this which suggests there's no simple answer for portraits.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:38 AM   #3

I have always used the 80/200 for years Nagasaki, especially for weddings, but the bokeh results with the new 70/200 VRIFED are outstanding. You can get far enough away and take the candid shots all at F2.8. I just adore that lens for portraits
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote