Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:00 PM   #1
Default The right lens for portraits and facials

Are there particular lenses that are better suited for portrait photography. Also, I enjoy taking close-up shots of my children's faces. I own a D1 and just purchased a Fuji S2, so the lenses would be used with these cameras. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

xmarcelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2003, 3:36 PM   #2

I read others PRO talked about it. Mostly they said Nikon 85mm f/1.4 BEST top #1 for portrait even Macro. for me, it pretty expensive $$$ If you're rich then buy that.

So far, for me I had nikon 60mm f/2.8 micro. It's pretty good and very clear. price is not bad.

Are u look for that fixed lenses or you want zoom lenses?
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 6:16 AM   #3

I agree with polarbear. But it's way to expensive for me, so I chose 85mm f/1.8, with slightly lower MTF rating (www.photodo.com), but easier on the wallet

You could also consider the Nikkor DC lens (DC = defocus control) for portrait photography. I can't remember if it's 105mm or 135mm, but it lets you control the blur of the background.
gared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 10:12 AM   #4

I've got great results with the Nikon MF 105mm 2.5.
A used one isn't expansive eighter.It's sharp and has a nice bokéh.
digi-Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:42 PM   #5

best portrait lense for the $ on digital slr is 50 mm 1.8 $99 new at b&h. the $ u save take a phot0 class
magsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:46 AM   #6

has any body here used a sigma 105 2.8 macro as a portrait lens?
taolang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:53 AM   #7

I wouldn't use one of the micro(macro) lenses for portrait work, especially one of the Nikon micros. They are too sharp for portrait work, and will require some post work softening for skin, especially on tight crops. The focus throw also takes some getting used to for general photography. I don't have any experience with the sigma micros.

As was mentioned, the 50/1.8 works does well in protraits (although it is borderline too sharp as well) and comes close to duplicating the classic portrait length of 85mm. In reality, most of the midrange zooms do well for portraits and give you added framing and composition flexibility...you can zoom in or out instead of moving the camera and tripod (you are using a tripod for portraits aren't you??). These zoom lenses have acceptable sharpness for portraits, and you can still isolate subjects from backgrounds even at f3.5, or f/5.6.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:44 AM   #8

I have a Nikon D70 and I love my Nikon 50mm 1.8. Cost about $100. You mentioned you enjoy taking close ups of your childrens faces...I've just purchased a used Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro.Very nice lens. Very sharp. Some say too sharp for portraits. But a little photoshopping should take care of that. I've never had a problem with a lens being too sharp. But I kinda like the idea. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:17 PM   #9

For your type of shooting, portraits and kids, I recommend the fast 50mm f1.8D lens. It's the best bang for your buck. Yes, it is a sharp lens. However, if you take pictures of kids, it's okay as their skin are perfect to begin with anyways. However, for glamour photoshoots, where the ladies would like to see their soft smooth face, I suggest setting the f-stops no higher than f4.0. Higher than that you would see too much detail.
kenbodee is offline   Reply With Quote