Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:30 PM   #1

I am interested in buying either the D50 or D70s dSLR. The price of body only D70s is only $100.00 CDN more than the price of the body only D50. The price of the D50 kit is around $1180.00. The price of the D70s kit is $1550.00. I would like to get the D70s and was wondering if the 28 - 100 lense would work as a replacement to the more expensive kit lense. There is also a 28 - 80 for around the same price. I am aware of the 1.5x factor involved and I do not need as wide a lense but prefer a modest telephoto. Since this is my first dSLR I have only began to look at lenses and Nikon seems to have some very affordable ones. What would I be giving up to the more expenseive kit lense glass?
kevin68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:23 PM   #2

The only major thing you'd give up is the wide angle (which IMO is a pretty major thing). Both the lenses you mention are pretty good lenses for the price. I'd give a second thought to giving up the wide end of the lens however. 42mm is not very wide and it is often much easier to move closer to an object than to move away from it. A lens this wide will make it very difficult to take group pictures or landscapes. In addition, I can almost guarentee that your next lens purchase willbe a wider angle lens and you'll end up getting the 18-70 lens anyway, which would make your 28-100 redundant, and you'll pay more for it than you would if you had gotten it with the camera. The 18-70 does provide a modest telephoto and you can pick up the 75-300 later and have just about every shooting situation covered.

Good luck!!
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:02 AM   #3

I agree, I got the D70 with the 28-80 lens and you can almost forget it for indoor, landscape, architectual etc. If I'd have to make the decision again, I'd try to go for the 18-70. For now, I am saving for a 12-24 ;]
hueen is offline   Reply With Quote