Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:38 AM   #1

On the weekend, I was shooting some fall pics with my Nikon D50 / Nikon AF-S DX 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G lens in a local park and realized that I could have use a little more wide angle. I'm now considering purchasing the Nikon AF-S DX 12-24mm F4.0G lens. I was wondering just how good is this lens? Some people seem to indicate that it is a little soft in the corners and that it cannot focus to infinity (requiring manual focus).

Any opinions / comments / suggestions?

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:09 PM   #2

Check out the Tokina 12-24mm.Many people say optically, it's as good or better than the Nikkor at half the cost.

Here's a Pop Photo review of it: http://www.popphoto.com/assets/downl...naLensTest.pdf

I'm considering this lens (along with the Sigma 10-20mm), as I can't afford the Nikkor.
maxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 5:08 AM   #3

IMO if one can shop without a brand blinder on, there's a few excellent super wide zooms out there...

I chose the Sigma 12-24 EX because:
1. It's the only rectilinear full-frame super-wide zoom out there
2. It comes with HSM which is the silent AF with full-time manual overide (i.e. similar to AF-S)
3. It's only $550 :-)

and quite sharp too:

... with very little distortion:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:53 PM   #4

I own the Nikkor 12-24/4 G and I'd have to say it is just as sharp as the Nikkor 17-28/2.8 D AFS, which I also own. However, realize that the 28-70 weighs 33 oz while the 12-24 weighs something like 16 oz, according to the Nikon website.

It also has the Nikon AFS AF motor, which is lightning quick. Sure the initial investment is high but if you value sharp images, you will find it worth the money. I do.

I doubt it's any sharper than the Sigma, but I have a 100% Nikon optic system with the D70s and no regrets.
amateurdabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:30 AM   #5

Lots of good options for wide angle out there. I haven't used the Nikon but I used to own the Sigma 12-24 which was great. I sold it a while back when I needed some money. Just recently I picked up a Tamron 11-18- I love it. It focuses slower than the Sigma did, but since it's a DI lens it's much smaller and can use 77mm filters which is a nice bonus. It's up there with my sharpest lenses.

Here's a shot from last weekend using the Tamron 11-1811mm 1/3 sec f/16

bigconig is offline   Reply With Quote