Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:08 AM   #1

The DX lenses are designed to work with a sensor which is smaller than the standard 35mm film frame. Presumably Nikon will eventualy introduce a camera with a full size sensor. With that in mind, are DX lenses a good long term investment? (What is the life expectancy of a modern lens anyway?)

I'm thinking of getting the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom to go with my D50. I'm wondering if I will still have a use for it if Nikon introduces a camera with a full frame sensor in 2 years.
Insert Name Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:32 AM   #2

I wouldn't worry about your lens becoming obsolete. Even if Nikon does introduce a full frame DSLR (at this point it is pure speculation and at least a year or two away) i don't think the APS sensor size is going to go away anytime soon. It is much cheaper to manufacture/produce the smaller sensor. Besides maintaining the ability to use your ultrawide 35mm lenses, there is no major advantage with a full frame sensor. Canon's full frame has not proven to be the killer camera it was expected to be. Don't get me wrong, full frame would be nice, but the APS format is probably here to stay.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote