Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:02 AM   #1

Im fairly new to photography, I already havea few really nice lenses. I would like to get a 50mm 1.2 or 1.4. Im unaware how much significance I would see with one lens over the other. The price difference is pretty large. Also on the 1.4 should I go with an AF or a Manual focus? I realize the 1.2 Nikon only is in a Manual. The Camera Im using is a Fuji Finepix S2pro.

Thanks for the help
thumper5102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:35 AM   #2

Obviousy if your in very low light, or cannot use flash, the 1.2 will be a bonus. however, DOF at this aperature is very small, making critical focus difficult. I find 1.8 to be the smallest aperature that I can use and still achieve focus easily. I don't think the extra cost for a 1.4 or 1.2 matches the benefits. The 1.8 is widely accepted as a great lens and can be had for under $100...unless you absolutely need the extra stop, I would just get the 50 1.8.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 6:56 PM   #3

I havea MF-50mm 1.4,a MF-55mm 1.2, and an AF-50mm-1.8. All 3 give very sharp images, and you won't go wrong with any of them. There is a big difference in low light between the 1.8, and 1.2. The 1.2 gives a noticibly brighter image in the viewfinder, but the 1.2 is also very touchy of focus when wide open.At 1.2, the DOF is very small, and the slightest focusing error results in problems. The AF comes in handy in those situations. Under normal use though, no difference in my opinion. One advantage of the 55mm 1.2 is it is a better portrait lens on a D100, or the S2. A bit longer, ( on the D100 it performs like an 83mm, which is perfect for portraits) and gives beautiful portraits stopped down to 2.8. The lens far out resolves the D100's CCD.

That being said, I would not pay the difference for the 1.2. I inheireted mine from my father in law, and I love using it. But I wouldn't have paid the difference to get it. My opinion would be to get an AF 1.4, if you can spring the extra$100 or so.

MPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:36 AM   #4

What about the difference between the 85mm 1.8 and 1.4? I have read that lenses are sharper when you are not at the ends of their aperture range. So I was thinking that the 1.4 lens at 1.8 would be sharper than the 1.8 at 1.8. Does this hold out in practice? Is the difference noticable?

The 1.4 is substantially more expensive than the 1.8, and I am not sure the extra cost is justified at my level of experience.
Insert Name Here is offline   Reply With Quote