Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:55 PM   #1

I don't see much on here regarding this lens, so here's a bit about my experience with it so far.

I dig it!

I was shooting a candidates forum tonight using this lens at ISO 800 at about 25 feet away from my subjects with an SB-800, all with a D70s at JPEG L/F. Looking at the image on my monitor, the pics are sharp enough to see a small scab on the chin of one of the candidates. Not very flattering, and not very important for newspaper work, but for those concerned with sharpness it's good to know.

The lens focuses fast. I've used it on a D200 and the D70S, and I find it focuses at about the same speed. However, battery life is much better on the D70S. I didn't try the lens out with the two cameras in enough situations to determine accuracy, but so far it's worked out well for me.

The VR really does work. I don't know yet if it lives up to Nikon's claim of four stops, but I have done some compare/ contrast shots and I've been impressed. And because of the better power consumption with the D70s, I don't mind using either of the VR options on a regular basis (as conditions warrant).

The lens has a rubber ring where it attaches to a camera, sealing out dust. Anything as such is a plus for me given how prone these cameras are to attracting dust. I also believe the inner barrel is metal, for those concerned with durability.

Though many argue primes are the way to go for sharpness, for what I shoot, this lens is fantastic. It's what I've been hoping for from Nikon since I bought my first D70 in 2004. I find the colour, sharpness, speed and accuracy to be excellent, and it is likely this lens will stay on my camera unless circumstances demand a prime with better low light capability.
twmangrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:27 PM   #2

Thanks I have been¬* hoping to find some feedback on this lens.¬* I am probably going to buy one tomorrow.
Insert Name Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 2:06 PM   #3

Does anyone know who has the lenses on stock. I have neen on the phone all day trying to find one.

Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 3:43 AM   #4

About 2 months ago I decided to get that lens as well. As here (Netherlands) the lens didn't seem to be available, I emailed Adorama and they had it. Ebay has some sellers too.
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:31 AM   #5

Best Buy may have them in stockbut asking $899.00 US.

rplinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:06 AM   #6

The lens is now available with most of the store. I just got a call from Cord camera and they still sell for 699.99.
aircheif is offline   Reply With Quote