Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 16, 2006, 6:28 AM   #1

I am considering getting a D50 but I do not want to carry more than one lens. I was looking at this lens to cover the 18-200 range.
How would you rate it? Would there be another lens that could be considered for th esame range and price range? I saw the
Nikon AF-S 24-120mm VR, although a shorter range, how woul dthis one rank?

Any suggestion appreciated.

PS: I am a leisure photographer so not looking for A1 lens.
Machouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 2:27 PM   #2

If you would like to see pictures taken with the Tamron 18-200 mm f3.5-6.3 lens, most of the pictures in the two albums here were taken with that lens. There were just a very few shots of homes across the lake which were taken with my Nikon 80-400 VR.

Upon editing the pictures in PS CS I discovered that the lens had:

way more barrel distortion at its wide angle end than my Nikon 12-24 mm does at 12 mm,

way too much chromatic aberration distortion (color fringing around the edges of lines) at the telephoto end than any of my other lenses do, including the 24-200 mm Tokina.

If you are not likely to make any large blowups, then it may be OK for you.

However, I have given it to my eldest granddaughter (age10) long with my Nikon D100 and an SB-80DX flash.

I have purchased a Nikon 18-200 mm VR lens and it is vastly superior to the Tamron in every respect. Faster focusing, very low barrel distortion at 18 mm and very low pincushion distortion and very low CA at 200 mm, plus the VR. Since I already owned two Nikon VR lenses, I know how valuable VR can be.

Yes, it costs almost twice the price of a Tamron or Sigma 18-200, but it is well worth the difference, in my opinion.

Don_Emery is offline   Reply With Quote