Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:26 PM   #11

Hi I am thinking of getting this camera, Nikon D50, and do you folks usually purchase online? I have a great camera shop that I deal with, a bit more expensive, great guys, good advice, can deal with them directly, you knpw, customer service. I really want to get a wide angle lens. I looked at a Tokina 12-24 in their store, and "wow", it was great. Thinking about landscapes and such. Any thoughts? Thanks.
mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:49 PM   #12

I am also looking to go D50. Graduating up from the Panasonic FZ20 superzoom. I have a question on the "kit" lenses. While thinking of getting a kit with the 18-55 and 55-200, I looked at a D50 at Costco today. It had the 18-55 which seemed to be really cheaply made and very 'plasticy'. Are they a decent lens for a beginner? It didn't seem very durable, and I didn't like the way the lens telescoped in and out, seems like a place for dirt to get inside the lens. (My FZ suffered this fate). For somoene wanting to get the 18-200 range covered, and on a budget that precludes the Nikon vr lens, do any of you have any suggestions of a better route? Or should I just get the kit lenses and be happy until I can afford to spend more?
st_pinetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:35 AM   #13

had my d50 a few weeks, that 18-55 kit lens is pretty good so far and about 100 times sharper than my fz5... also its nice having the wide angle

im still after a lens with more zoom but its not as important as what i thought.... maybe i will try and pickup the 55-200 cheap somewhere
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:28 PM   #14

If you do a search on the forums, the question of how good the kit lens is has been ansered many times. For the money, it is fairly sharp, fast focusing, solid if unremarkable performer. You'll be hard pressed to find a better lens for the price.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote