Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:49 AM   #1

Good morning -
My brother lives in Tahoe. The family is thinking about getting him a DSLR for birthday. I'm voting for the D50. Was gonna get the kit lens cause I didn't know any better. Now it looks like we'd better do a little research

He shoots wide angle a lot. Roughly 18mm old school; I know this means even shorter in the digital world. Tele is not much of a concern right now. If we can't get down to 18mm equivalent he's just gonna have to deal with it.

Image quality for enlarging is a goal. I know we need more MP for that, but if this works out we'll swap bodies down the road.

I'd sure like to stick w/ Nikon glass but if there's a reasonably priced competitor that fits the priorities we'd consider.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
bpbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:28 PM   #2

Nikon, tamron, and tokina all make lenses that start at 12mm (18mm after crop factor). The Nikon runs close to $1000, and the others run about 1/2 to 1/3 that price. Sigma has a wide zoom that starts at 10mm (15 after the crop). All have been rated as pretty good to excellent performers, with nikon obviously being the best, with probably the Tokina and Sigma a close second.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:41 PM   #3

Check out Ken Rockwell's review:

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:53 AM   #4

Helpul review - thanks!
bpbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:06 AM   #5

Without doubt the 12/24mm Tamron would do fine. Many say it is as good as the Nikon equivalent and at its price it is extremely good value.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote