Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:38 PM   #1

well the subject says it all, im contemplating whether i should get the 18-55 and 55-200, or the 28-80, i will generally be making telephoto shots (as in landscapes/architecture), but occasionally closer ones. i would rather have just one lens, so i dont switch it and it is less expensive too.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:10 PM   #2

If your shooting landscape and architecture, the 28-80 is not going to work. You don't want tele for these shots...you want wide angle (shorter focal lengths) After crop factor, the lens becomes a 42-120..not nearly wide enough for those types of shots. This lens is also optically inferior to the 18-55 and 18-70. The 18-70 is probably a better, more versatile lens, but the 18-55 comes at a great price. You could then pick up the 55-200 for just about the same price as the 18-70 and have nearly every shooting situation covered. I know this is two lenses, but as long as your careful (camera turned off and pointed down and not changing lenses in dusty environments) dust should not be a problem. If it is, cleaning the sensor is not as hard as one would think.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:16 PM   #3

I would go for the 18-55 myself. You will want that wide angle for sure. Dont get the 55-200, it sounds like you need the wide angle. You might get buy with the 28-80 but Im telling you that 18-55 sounds like it will work out fine. good luck
moeview is offline   Reply With Quote