Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:04 AM   #1

Hi all

I have the af-s nikkor 55-200mm 1:4 5.6g ed lens and was wondering if there is such a thing as a converter to use with this lens, or would it we be better to get a bigger lens.

I want to be able to take closer shots of birdsand animals so any ideas on if a converter for this lens or a bigger lens all together would be the best bet.

any info much appreciated.

mark
wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:55 AM   #2

You can use teleconvertors to increase the focal length of the lens. The compatible ones will be listed in your manual.

At f5.6 this is already a slow lens and a teleconvertor will add at least another stop so the view finder display will be dark and focusing may be a problem. Suggest you find a camera shop with one in stock and try before you buy.

A teleconvertor is a cheap lightweight option but a longer lens is a better option.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:10 AM   #3

thanks nagaski

aah i see I think it is finally sinking in.

So if the lens is a f2.8 that that means it is much faster. Is that right or did i get it wrong again ha ha ha Blimey i thought the lens i got was fast but then i have come from using Dimage A2 and the Fz20 they just dont feel the same anymore.

This VR lens that everyone is talking about at the mo 28-200mm vr i think it is so this would be even faster still so for taking shots of wildlife this would be the chap to have. But i find that the 200mm lens just doesn't get me close enough in certain shots and believe me by the time i get close enough the wildlife has gone ha ha ha.

At the moment i have been reading about this lens

Sigma 50-500 APO HSM EX 1:4-6.3D APO RF going by what you said about the F5.6 i assuming that thos sigma lens would be slower still or did i get that wrong as well.

You have most probably noticed by now that i know very little about this sort of thing so apologies for all the questions.

many thanks

mark
wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 8:18 AM   #4

When referring to "speed", we mean the larger aperature lenses allow in more light, allowing faster shutter speeds in a given situation. It is not referrring to focus or operational speed.

The 18-200 VR (not 28-200) is only a 1/2 stop faster on the wide end (f3.5) and has the maximum aperature at the tele end. It is not appreciably faster. VR does help with stationary objects as people have claimed to handhold at shutter speeds of 1/4 second. However, it will not produce faster shutter speeds, especially on the long end.

Nikon currently doesn't make teleconverters for AF-S lenses (which the 55-200 is, albeit a slightly crippled version). To use a tele with AF, you'll have to get a 3rd party brand (although the AF will barely work, if at all due to aperature limititations). Nikon manual teleconverters will work, but you'll lose AF. Teleconverters are really only useful for fast bright prime lenses.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:26 PM   #5

As rjseeney saysthe speed of a lens refers to it's light gathering capabilities. A lens with a large maximum aperture is faster than a lens with a smaller maximum aperture. Just to confuse matters a small F number like F2 is a large aperture and a large fnumber like f16 is a small aperture.

Autofocus works better with large apertures so a fast lens (large aperture) will tend to focus faster than a slower lens. This is due to the camera being able to detect focus more quickly not the actual process of moving the les to focus.

Looking at the Sigma 50-500 it's an F4 - F6.3 lens. This means that it has a maximum aperture of F4 at 50mm reducing to a maximum aperture of F6.3. Autofocus will work fine at 50mm F4 I don't think it willwork at 500mm F6.3. The D70 needs a minimum aperture of F5.6 or greater for autofocus to work. I'm sure the D50 will be the same. You should be able to use manual focus but the screen will be dark and difficult to see. I don't know anything else about this lens but I'd avoid it on this basis alone.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:02 PM   #6

maybe im totally wrong but is he asking about a teleconverter for the end ofhte lens ala point and shoot?
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:50 PM   #7

For DSLR's (and SLR's) a tele converter fits between the lens and the body.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:00 PM   #8

no i know that there are those types of teleconverters, but there are alost he ones for p&s that screww into the filter end. I dont nkow if they work at all for slr lenses, im sure there woudl be vingetting on most lenses, but yea.
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote