Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:30 AM   #1

Cameta auctions has the following two lens packages for the D50:

1)Tamron Autofocus 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Autofocus zoom lens & Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD 1:2 Macro Autofocus Zoom Lens

Nikon 18-55mm DX f/3.5-5.6 AF-S Zoom lens & Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 AF Zoom Lens

Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG zoom lens & Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro

and for slightly more

4) Nikon 18-55mm DX f/3.5-5.6 AF-S Zoom lens & Nikon 55-200mm AF-S DX Zoom Lens

Am I giving up alot with the less focal length of #4, also it does not appear the lenses has a macro mode.

Aftermarket prices on all these lens indicate they are all about the same price.

Assuming the prices are equal, which would you take?

Any info would be appreciated.
Dave in NJ

bassithound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:56 PM   #2

I recently made a purchase with Cameta and went with #2. #4 cost a little more when I was shopping, but the 55-200 lens is supposedly better. I wouldn't pick #1 or #3 since the wide side is not wide at all.

The package I got was #2 with just the Nikon bag, not the one with extra battery and cleaning kit. I got it for $680. I then went to adorama and bought the 50mm 1.8, monopad (I already have a tripod) and 1Gig Ultra 2.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:05 PM   #3

1. no real knowledge but you do get a macro option which may be useful

2. the Nikon 18-55 kit lens is often reported as being better than expected for a kit lens, i have used it and like it. I have used the 70-300G on an old film camera and agains, considering it is a budget lens, i thought the results were nice and clean. it will probably work better on a digital body.

3. No idea, but the 70-300 is inferior to the APO version which costs about £80 more.

4. this was the kit that i bought and i was happy with it. Both lenses are surprisingly light, it is a good travel set. you are right, you will not get a dedicated macro feature. i mainly kept my 55-200 on the body all the time and have some nice shots that I am more than happy with. Some report it not being too fast to focus, but i have caught loads of birds mid air with mine.

I have just sold my 55-200 and bought the Sigma 70-300 APO macro, simply because i want greater reach for wildlife and the macro - but i miss the light and compact 55-200.

Strictly based on the packages that you list, I had your 4th choice andwould be happy to recommend it BUT if macro is very important to you, then you may want to take another option.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:59 PM   #4

hi all

I didn't get mine from the company you mention cuz i'm in england but i bought the d50 with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens and i am very happy with the kit lenses i too will be looking for a bigger lens but hopefully i wont have to sell the 55-200mm lens luckily i have got 2 other point and shoot cameras to ged rid so has to fund the big lens.

I now take my d50 everywhere i go well obviously not everywhere but ya know what i mean. i luv it i just cant get over the speed of the thing.

Like norm smith said a lot of people say the lenses arn't fast but i have nothing else to compare them to apart from my dimage a2 and my panny fz20 and boy this d50 is fast. Here is a pic taken with the d50 and the 55-2200mm lens again like norm smith this lens is my main lenseven indoors it performs quite well the 18-55 lens pefroms very well indoors.
Attached Images
wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote