Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:39 PM   #11

A picture worth a thousand words! This attached picture was taken with the 80-400VR, handheld. See here for more of my 80-400VR photos: http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...ry.php?cat=fav
Attached Images
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:22 AM   #12

The 80-400VR can be handheldeasily with its VR on @ 400mm or try keeping the shutter at 400 sec or faster and you can keep VR off if your not to shaky.
I have the 80-400 VR its a good sharp lens but I don't use it much for my type of shooting, as you can see from the sample of ruchaiits a great piece of glass.

Now to clear up a misconception some have on DX lens the DX lens you still need to figure in the 1.5x multiplication into its focal length so a Nikkor 18-200mmlens still comes to a 27-300mm.

All my lens are non DX lens and I prefer fast glass that holds a constant f/stop myself as far as picture quality no difference at all if the glass is of good quality in fact some will tell you that using non DX glass you benefit because the center of the lensits sweep spot is only being used.
My 2 most used lens are theNikkor AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED and a Nikkor AF-S 80-200mm F2.8 D ED IF along with a Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D for low light shots.

Regarding tripods If you use a VR lens on a tripod you need to turn VR off just to let you know.

Nice shot ruchai
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 7:49 AM   #13

Thank you very much for so meaty answer.

And the picture is really amazing, I'm delighted with it.

djkostya is offline   Reply With Quote