Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 4, 2006, 11:21 PM   #1

Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded to a D50 from my N60. What took me so long, I do not know, but I am using the lenses that I used with my old set up. The two lenses that I currently use are:

Nikkor 35-80mm 1:4-5.6D AF, and a

Tamron AF Aspherical LD (IF) 28-200mm 1 : 3.8-5.6

The images are nice, but I was wondering if the DX lenses are better, and should be used with the DSLR's, instead of my other above mentioned lenses? Is there a significant difference in the DX lenses vs the standard AF lenses? Then I read (within this forum) individuals discussing the Nikon VR lenses, which are pricey, but very good.Then, there are other lenses (Sigma OS), which people are happy with, and are somewhat cheaper. There are many options.

Iguess what I am looking for is a single lensfor my D50. I bought the Tamron 28-200mm with that intention for my N60, and wouldgladly appreciate any opinions fromanyone.

Thanks in advance, Jeff
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2006, 5:44 AM   #2

The DX lenses are designed for the smaller sensor on DSLRs so they should be smaller and lighter. That said I have the 12-24 DX and it's a big heavy beast.

The sensor in a DSLR needs the light to hit it perpendicular to the sensor whereas with film this was not an issue. In theory the DX lenses are designed to focus the light at the correct angle for the sensor. I'm not sure how much of an issue this is for most people. I think it's more of an issue with wider lenses anyway and I don't have any problems using non DX lenses on my D70.

If I was buying a new lens and it was a choice between a DX lens and a non-DX lens I'd probably go for the DX assuming the price was right. I wouldn't get tyoo worked up if I could only find or afford a non-DX lens and I certainly wouldn't replace a lens just because it wasn't DX.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 12:46 AM   #3

Well, from what others say, it appears that the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens is a great do-it-all lens. The downpart is that the price is pretty steep. I personally went for the Sigma 18-200mm, others for the Tamron 18-200. They provide the best balance between wide and tele angle and are specifically crafted for the digital SLR. You might want to check out this thread: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=66or what Ken Rockwell has to say about his Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm (scroll down the page to get to the links that refer to that lens).

zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 9:39 AM   #4

I bought a D50 2 lens kit from Cameta.com on eBay. I purchased the Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G AF Zoom Lens and the Tamron 70-300mm Macro Zoom Lens.

If I had to do it again, I would have purchased the body and the Tamron 18-200. If cost is a concern that would be the best bang for your buck. You get nice telephoto and wide angle. I will be trading up to this lenses, and ebaying my 28-80. If $$ is not a concern than the 18-200 Nikon VR would be an excellent choice for an all around lens.

Dave in NJ
bassithound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 10:29 AM   #5

I did almost the same as what you would've done had you known now what you do, but I got the Sigma 18-200mm and I should be getting the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D soon.
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 6:55 PM   #6

Keep the 28-200 and add a 12-24.
matsumoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 2:52 AM   #7

Why not use the lenses you already have for a while and find out by yourself that there are any thing you wanted to do that those lenses can not do. I only use one lens with my D50, MacroNikkor 60mm. By not have to switch lenses I never have to worry about dust on the low-pass filter. Do not have to research for new lenses, just having fun using my D50.

I also have a D200 with Nikkor 80-400VR that I use for birding.Also a4 mp Sony DSC-V-1 point and shoot which I use for casual picture taking.

Changable lenses to me mean I can choose any lens that suit my style when I buy a camera, not changing lenses several times a day.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 6:55 AM   #8

I agree with Ruchai-

The choice of lenses is a rather personal judgement. You tend to really use those that you like a lot, the others side in the closet, and represent a waste of money. Take your time and get a feel for your camera and the kind of photos you want to take.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 10:17 AM   #9

I'd say the 28-200 is a pretty good start for a general purpose lens. Good range on focal length and aperature. I use a Tamron 28-300 for this purpose on my D50 and it stays on 90% of the time. I added a 50mm f/1.8 for low light, indoors, and portrait use. For $100 new it's impossible to beat, very sharp, and can shoot at very low light.

I'm now looking for a wide prime or wide zoom, something in the 15mm range, I might even consider buying someone's used 18-55mm kit lens if they're getting rid of it and the price is right. I'd rather have something like a Sigma 15-30 f/3.5 w/ rear gels or 17-35 f/2.8 for something slightly faster. Doubt i'll be able to afford a 10-20 or 12-24.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 2:22 PM   #10

I'm looking at the Tamron 28-200mm on Ebay, is that a good tele lens? My D50 came with the 18-55, but I'm lost without a good telephoto lens. Any input would be appreciated, as I'm a rank newbie to DSLR.
SueSee is offline   Reply With Quote