Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 8, 2006, 4:48 PM   #1

I just got a Nikon D70s and bought the Nikkor 70-300mm lens, which I love. However, I'd like to complement it with something that will allow closer shots--people, nearby scenery, etc.

The problem is, I don't want to break the bank. The options I've seen lately are:

Nikon 18-55mm
Sigma 28-70mm
Nikon 18-70mm

With the Sigma lens, I'd lose the first 10 mm, whereas the first Nikon, I lose the 15mm from 55mm to the 70mm that is part of the telephoto lens I already have. The Nikon 18-70mm, however, is much more expensive than the other two, and I'd like to find a viable alternative.

Do you think the 18-28mm I get are more or less important than the 55mm-70mm that I would lose? Or, is there another lens that I'm missing that could solve this connundrum? If you could direct me anywhere, I'd be very grateful.

airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2006, 5:54 PM   #2

For myself I'd prefer to keep the 18mm this is a moderate wide angle. It's useful in confined spaces such as shots indoors or where you just can't move far enough back to get the subject in the frame.

The 55-70 range can also be useful at times but probably less so and there are alternatives such as using the 70-300 lens, moving a bit closer or cropping the resulting photograph.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 7:25 PM   #3

I agree. I doubt that you'll miss the 55-70 range....it is such a small range, and it is often just as easy to move a few feet closer. However, it is often harder to move back to capture more of a scene, especially when indoors. The difference between 18 and 28 is much more noticeable than the difference between 55 and 70.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 11:44 PM   #4

I did not use the 18-55 kit lens much. After 10 months with my D50 I just started playing with itand really love the lens. It is light, very sharp, smooth focusing. The 18-55 (27-80) is just right for general purpose.

Nikon D50 was a break trough which shake the DSLR world. It was not because of the superb body but also the superb 18-55 lens.

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 1:31 AM   #5

Just picked up the 18-55 Nikon Nikkor for $102
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote