Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 8, 2006, 6:37 PM   #1

I am within reach (within about2 weeks) of getting my d50... I plan on immediately getting a 50mm 1.8 but was wanting a zoom for my camera... should i get the 24-120 right away or wait for the 18-200 VR... or should i even opt for the 80-400 vr? im in kinda of a dilemme and want some opinions... should i just get the 50mm and use it for awhile while i put my name on a list for the longer zooms or just go for the 24-120? (of course the wait will be also needed due to saving more money to afford)

Thanks in advance...:-)

PS the 70-200VR lens... whats the benefit of getting it over the 18-200 Vr...just the larger aperture...? still a newbie learning the ropes of dslr's:|
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2006, 7:34 PM   #2

If you're looking for one lens to do it all, it's tough to do better than the 18-200. It covers the most useful shooting ranges with VR to top it off. I don't think any of the tele zooms (the 70-300, 80-400vr) are good one lens solutions, as you miss the entire wide angle. The 24-120vr is a nice (not great) lens, but again you lose out on wide angle shooting. In all honesty, if you're just a casual shooter, the kit lenses should serve you just fine...they are small, quiet, and focus quickly. No they aren't great, but offer alot of bang for the buck, and I doubt that you would notice any of their deficiencies unless you print very large. All the lenses you mention are very expensive, and won't yield significantly better results unless you really know what you are doing. Technique and skill and learning more about photography will get you instant results....buying the most expensive lenses will not necessarily yield instant results. I say save your money, get a nice bag, a good tripod, and a few photography books.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote