Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 19, 2006, 6:05 PM   #1

After searching the internet, I've found a lot of comments on the Tokina AT-X PRO 28-80/2.8. They vary from excellent, to good, to "mixed feeling", to bad.
All agreed about the great build quality.
Most rave about image quality with apertures between f5.6 - f11, or even 1 or to stops more.
Some say that sharpness at f4 and even more at f2.8 is less, but normal for f2.8 lenses.
But many say that at f2.8 (and some even at f4) sharpness is gone and the image is quite soft.
Another often found complaint is about flare, this lens seems to suffer more frome flare than other lenses do. I can't find out if this flare issue is more often seen with usage for digital than with film.
The third complaint is about excessive CA in high contrast scenes.
I know that people are more willing to post complaints than raves, that many tell about these issues because they've read about it somewhere (instead of noticing it by their own usage).
I'm very interested in this Tokina, for usage on both digital (D200) and film (F90X), but all those mentioned issues scare me off.
Are there happy users of the Tokina AT-X PRO 28-80/2.8?
Kind regards,
Jan Wakker
For links to info and reviews about Nikon Lenses and DSLR, plus 3rd party lenses, take a look at:
Jan Wakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links