Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:33 AM   #1

I just purchased the D50 in a kit from Costco and it came with 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G AF Zoom-Nikkor and 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Zoom-Nikkor lenses.

I have seen kits online that come with
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lenses.

The price for each kite ends up being about the same, but the kit from Costco comes with a camera bag, and a 256mb SD card.

I'm very new to photography and I'm wondering what the differences are between these lenses, besides the focal length covered. I'm not sure what all the features mean on a lens. Are there differences in quality? Extra features offered by one over the other? Should I be taking the DX lenses over the G?

Here are the links to the Nikon spec pages

cyancey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:37 PM   #2

I just purchased this same D50 kit from Costco as well. I am interested in feedback regarding these two lenses and their primary uses. I am new to slr photography and will be using the camera in two primary ways: the kid's sports and indoor/outdoor family photos. Are these lenses suitable for my needs, or should I return this kit? (I need very simple feedback, as I am in over my head, I'm afraid.) Thanks for any help.
texmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:31 AM   #3

The second kit lenses are a little better quality. That being said, your kit should be fine for your needs. I have the same kit (Tamron 70-300), and am very happy with the all around performance. However, I have purchased a Tamron 18-200, and have been using it almost exclusively.
Dave in NJ
bassithound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:41 PM   #4

I agreed with bassithound on the 18-200mm lens. Either the Tamaron or Sigma (a little cheaper), but both of these lens are great if you don't like carry too much lenses on your vacation trip.

linux4guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:22 PM   #5

The 70-300mm G lens is pretty good. I use it to shoot some slow or stationary animals at a distance, and the sharpness is fine as well as the autofocusing speed. It may not be a modern lens as the DX (made for digital cameras only) and ED (treated lens glass to reduce glare, etc.) lens, but it does its job competently.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote