Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:05 PM   #1

New here.

I am buying a Nikon d50 this week.

I am debating between the Tamron 18-200 with the w/Quantaray 28-90mm (kit lens) i like the idea of one lens...but I know the nikon 18-200 comes with imagae stabilization feature and the tamron does not- how important is that.

or getting the 18-55nikon andtheTamron Autofocus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD 1:2 Macro Lens

OR the 18-55 nikon and the nikon 55-200

Don't throw other options at me...if you had to choose one of the above which would it be?

Also...what is good lens (as cheap as I can go with out sacraficing quality) for taking action shots? thanks!!

Thanks so much!
Carriemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2006, 9:00 PM   #2

I would get it with Tamron 18-200 and Quantaray 28-90. And then sell the Quantaray and get the Nikon 50mm 1.8

Make sure to checkout Cameta on eBay for D50 packages. They may have better prices.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:04 PM   #3

Image stabilization only helps for the photographer if he/she cannot keep the lens still. If an object is moving, image stabilization wont help at all.I have the nikon 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. I recently bought the Sigma 18-200. I'm not going back to the Nikons because of the ease of use. Dont bother with the 2 lens system, as you'll find not being able to zoom right when you want/need it.* I had to constantly switch between the 18-55 and 55-200. It took too much time, and I missed my shot. With the Sigma, a twist of the wrist and voila!I just posted some pics comparing the 18-200 versus the nikon pair.*http://www.speakeasy.net/~yeh/Sigma/Sigma.htmlIn terms of shooting action, I'd say that outdoor photography, the Sigma will be fine in the sun/overcast light. At night, you'll need a flash. I just got the SB-600. It throws a decent amount of light. If you need night time sports, then a faster lens like a nikon 80-200 2.8 is needed.GL*
Wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 5:46 AM   #4

I'm not a big fan of superzooms. They are convenient, but usually have some tradeoffs (all lenses do to be fair). They typically have pretty significant distortion at the extremes, and have worse distortion throughout the entire range then their smaller ranged cousins. They also are larger, and typically slower at any given focal length. The two kit lenses are inexpensive, especially when purchased with the camera. The extra bump in quality for the same price makes the two lens kit the better deal in my eyes.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 6:36 AM   #5

id do what Rey says.... I have a Tamron 28-300 and its on my camera 95% of the time... love that lens and so cheap, the other 5% I have the 50mm 1.8 on it
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote