Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:55 PM   #11

Thanks Keith

We have been debating the pros and cons of D50 and D70s.

Since they are so close in many ways it might be more sensible to purchase the D50 and spend the price difference on better lenses.

Something multi purpose and a nice macro to begin with.

What suggestion can you offer on a good 18-55 or perhaps 18-120
sbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:35 AM   #12

The only lens I have bought so far for my D50 is the 18-55 kit lens. My others (70-300ED, 60mm Micro and 20mm f2.8) are ones I already owned.

While people seem to knock the 18-55mm, I quite like it. I would like a longer range but I am put off the 18-200 lenses by the weight and wierd distortions at the wide end. Simple barrel distortion is easy to get rid of, but the moustache distortions of the 18-200s could be a problem with architectural shots. The 18-70 is supposed to be a better lens but seems to have terrible vignetting and is a lot heavier. 18-70 is a useful range though.

I like my "carry round" lens to be light and swap it for specific purposes. That way there isn't too much weight on my neck/shoulder all day. I had some heavy "carry round" lenses in my film days and sold them to buy the lighter kit lenses. The kit lenses don't last forever - the quality of construciton is not great, but my theory is that for the price you just replace it when it starts to creak (as one of mine did).

Not much help I am afraid.

keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:54 PM   #13

Thanks again

Your opinions aremost helpful!

As is often the case with such purchase I have been debating what level of expense is necessary vs what level of quality is desired.It is quite easy to become infatuated with equipment when taking a decision and spend far more than what was originally budgeted only to understand later such additional expense was not prudent.

20 years ago while attending university I worked for a photographic supply business and helped a friend get a job,fortunately he still works there as a manager currently.Now that I have an idea about what equipment would meet our needs I can trouble him over lunch for a good discount on some quality used lenses,flash and some varient of case.

Without a reasonable understanding of what other more experienced people are using it would be very easy to walk out of the shop with alot of veryniceequipment that is not necessary for what we want to accomplish
sbin is offline   Reply With Quote