Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:20 PM   #1

I just purchased this lens and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it using either the D50 or the D70(s). This is the non DG lens, ie. not specifically designed for aps-c sized sensors. For the most part, comments I have found state the the only serious issue may be when making very large prints. Any insights appreciated.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:16 PM   #2

I don't see why a full-frame lens would cause any issues on a DX sensor. If anything the DX sensor makes the lens MORE forgiving as the bulk of distortion and chromatic aberation are likely to occur near the edges of the full frame image plane, the portion largely cropped by the DX sensor. I have a Nikon 80-400mm VR, a VERY similar lens to your Sigma 80-400mm OS and it's a wonderful lens with my D50. I wish it had a bit larger aperature but that would shoot the cost and weight up exponentially.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:53 PM   #3

From what I've read, in general, the main disadvantage of using non-digital-specific lens on digital SLRs is that the back lens is not coated with anti-reflection finish. This means reflections from the CCD/CMOS can reflect back to the lens and possibly affect image quality. Films do not reflect and does not have this problem.

Also, most lens specific for APS-C are smaller and lighter.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote