Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:57 AM   #1

I recently purchased a Nikon D50. It came with an 18-55mm lens. I want to take our family portrait at a local park. I have the typical family that has moaned beyond belief at the notion on doing this and they havent even heard that they are wearing coordination clothing. I have asked a girlfriend and her daughter to go ahead of time to the park so I will know what to do when I get all the darlings together. I was wondering if I should purchase what I have heard many of you refer to as a portrait lens that was fairly inexpensive and when you own one you do not used it very much but neverless a good thing to have. Of course I don't remember what it was.
I do have a tripod and thought about the remote control instead of a timer?
SO what lens and should I use a timer.
thank you thank you thank you for any help and ideas
shaysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:06 PM   #2

When people talk about portrait lens, they usually refer to a bright prime lens. Most people like the 50mm or the 85mm prime, but this is usually with indoor portrait in mind, with single subject. Normally you want to keep distance with your subject, so they feel more comfortable. The 50mm f/1.8 prime is around $100 new.

But for an outdoor group portrait, the kit lens on a tripod might be good enough. Your problem might be that the lighting is too bright (if directly under the sun) and the sun will cast a shadow on people's eyes. So you might decide to go with an external flash with diffuser. Also with a group portrait, the 50mm might be too long, depending on the size of the group, that's why the 18-55 kit provides flexibility.

If I were you, I'd probably get an external flash.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:10 PM   #3

If this is a large group, the 18-55 is probably your best bet. As was said, be careful of time of day. Late afternoon is best and some off camera flash will help fill in some shadows. If you need to be in the photo, the remote is your best bet. However, if you have kids that need to be in the photo, you may want someone behind the camera to provide a place for them to look to insure they are all looking at the camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote